About Us

The earliest records we have is of the minutes of the 22nd AGM held on 12 November 1952.

It was minuted that” the Association consist of clubs affiliated to the WBA playing bowls on Private Greens situated in that part of the County of Glamorgan East of a line through and including Bridgend and also the County of Monmouth”

The founding members (14) were:

Barry Athletic; Cardiff; Cardiff Athletic: Dinas Powis: Mackintosh: Currans :Penarth   Penhill: .Windsor:Penylan: Radyr: Rhiwbina: St Fagans: Whitchurch.

Originally it is noted that the idea was initiated in 1925 by Tom Francis of Penarth. The earliest President recorded was J F O’Donnell of Currans.

On 8 March 1966 it is recorded that the Welsh Private Greens Bowling Association be founded consisting of clubs playing bowls on Private Greens in the Principality. The Association would consist of two sections viz. East and West.

It was determined that the definition of Private Greens was of clubs under the direct control of its members and maintained in proper made by funds exclusively for the purpose of the club on whose Green members had the right to play. It excluded Clubs who were “rate aided”

Subsequently and due to major differences of policy East and West Wales Bowling Associations divorced and Welsh Private Greens Bowling Association ceased to exist.

The earliest record available of an Association fixture is that of EWPGBA against the Royal Household, which EWPGBA recorded victory by 28 shots on May 17 1952, winning on 5 of the six rinks-Unfortunately it was the Captain’s rink which lost! Interestingly the number of members available for selection was 76.

The first record of match fees was on 18 June 1952 in a match played at Barry Athletic involving the princely sum of 11 shillings or 55pence today.! A week later the Association played a match at Birmingham and a charge was levied of 28/6p (£1.43p) covering the Coach and Lunch facilities!

The Singles Trophy for the Champion of Champions Cup commonly known as the Cratchley Bowl traces its roots to 1952 (and possibly before that although there are no earlier records.) and has been competed for every year since and has been won over the years by many distinguished players.

The East and West sections of the Welsh Private Greens also competed annually with their respective Singles Champions and Club Champions (PG1) for the title of All Wales Private Greens Champions. Since the annulment of the “Wales Private Greens B A “these competitions have ceased to be competed for. Since then however a club Single Rink competition has been established as a complement to the Cratchley Bowl and the PG1 and PG2 competitions.